2013 ADMISSIONS ARE NOW COMPLETE.
Applications for the 2014 intake will be accepted beginning September 2013.
The following is a summary of materials required for a complete application package. ALL of these materials must be submitted by deadline (exact date TBA for 2014) for your file to be considered complete:
- The Faculty of Graduate Studies On-line Application Form (be sure to choose “Master of Sustainable Forest Management” from the drop-down menu of degrees). The current Faculty of Graduate Studies application fee is $91.80 for Canadians and $153 for international applicants. Application fees are non-refundable.
- Two sets of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended.
In order to be considered official by UBC, transcripts must be submitted from the issuing institution in endorsed, sealed envelopes. Please ensure that you carefully read our document submission procedures before you order your transcripts:
Canadian Transcript submission procedures
International Transcript submission procedures (including degree certificates and translations)
- Statement of Intent. Provide a brief letter (1-2 pages) that outlines your motivation for pursuing the MSFM degree, the manner in which your previous education, work or volunteer experience have prepared you to be successful in this graduate program, and what you hope to do on completion of your degree. Why is this particular program at UBC the best place for you to pursue your interests?
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). Provide an up-to-date CV that summarizes, in the following order, your education (degrees, diplomas, continuing education); academic and professional awards; achievements, honours, or other distinctions you have received; work experience; professional certifications; volunteer experience; recreational pursuits.
- Applicant Questionnaire. (Complete this form: MSFM Applicant Questionnaire)
This will assist us in evaluating your foundation knowledge and skills, and provide guidance on selection of elective courses.
- Three References. Referees are required to use the MSFM Reference Form. At least one of your three references must be from an academic referee. Referees should be non-relatives who are able to provide a professional appraisal of your work and/or scholastic abilities and potential. They may be employers or former employers, supervisors of volunteer placements or internships, instructors at universities or colleges. They must be able to provide an assessment of your knowledge, skills and character, and probable success in an intensive professional master’s program.
- Official TOEFL Score Report (if applicable). Language proficiency testing is required by all applicants whose degrees are from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction. Tests must have been taken within 24 months at the time of submission of your application, and an official test score report must be ordered from the testing agency and be received by us by the application deadline. Photocopies of test scores are not acceptable.
- Permanent Residence of Canada Card (if applicable). If you have Permanent Residence status in Canada, we require a photocopy of your PR card (clear, legible copy of both the front and back).
- Your supporting documentation (transcripts, references) should be submitted via posted mail or courier. Your Statement of Intent, CV, and Applicant Questionnaire may be submitted via email if you choose.
- Reference Forms must be mailed or couriered. The form must be completed and signed by the referee and submitted in a sealed envelope with their signature on the outside seal.
- TOEFL results must be issued to UBC directly from the testing lab.
- Transcripts and other academic materials must be official certified documents submitted in sealed and endorsed envelopes by the issuing institution. Please do not submit unofficial academic documents as it will only delay the processing of your application file.